Thursday, December 23, 2010

The "supervisor"

I was out doing some Christmas shopping this afternoon. I was at Old Navy making a purchase and the young lady that was ringing me up was very nice and giving me very good customer service. As I have done on many occasions, I ask to speak to the manager or supervisor to tell them that the employee was very professional and provided me with excellent customer service. Now, USUALLY the manager or leadership tells me thank you for letting them know and for making the comment.

Not today, when I asked to speak to the manager, the girl looked to her right and said, "She is right here." pointing at the supervisor (I use that term lightly, you will see why in a moment) I then looked at the "supervisor" and said, " Your employee provided me with excellent customer service and I really appreciated it."
"supervisor" says, " I know, I was right here."
REALLY, I'm sure that my mouth dropped open at this point. I know that retail is not a very glamorous position for someone in their LATE thirties and you have come to the realization that this is it for you. No big title, no big house, you are a "supervisor"

Don't get me wrong, I don't fault anyone for working, especially in this day and age. But if your going to be in a Leadership position, please be a good example for your employees and better yet your companies customers.

Have you had bad customer service from someone in a Leadership position? Please tell us about it, share, learn and grow.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...