With kids we expect this kind of behavior from time to time. But with grown adults? Amazing as it sounds, it happens everyday in every workplace at some point. So what does the, "Tattle Tale" behavior do to the workplace?
- Disrupts Team unity: When one member of the workplace fills the need to inform on another it creates a divide in the team and workplace. It also creates distrust between the workers as well. The tattle tale is into self promotion which is directly in contradiction to the idea of team.
- Backstabbing: If not nipped in the bud quickly, others will start to follow the tattle tales lead. Your employees will start to backstab one another and create havoc in the workplace.
- Appearance of favorites: Depending on how well or not so well you deal with this individual, it could appear to others that your playing favorites with your workers. Once this perception or reality sets in, it is very hard to eradicate it.
- Stress: With everyone running around backstabbing and telling on one another, the stress level on your team and in the workplace will soar. Everyone will be watching their backs and be worried about every step they take will be analyzed and reported.
- Retention will plummet: Your employees will start to abandon ship, they will find other employment and get out of this terrible environment. Especially your top performers, they will not stay in this environment long
- Lack of loyalty and trust between workers and leadership: The workplace will split into protective cliques and be very leery of the leadership. Loyalty and trust will be non-existent and nothing of any value will be created.
I know there are times when employees bring very real and legitimate concerns or problems to leadership. I'm not talking about these cases, I'm talking about the employees that are self-serving and looking to improve their standing by standing on others. Be quick to address this type of behavior or it will kill your team and workplace quickly.
Have you ever seen this type of, "Tattle Tail" in your workplace? What was the effects of it? Please share your experiences, it is appreciated.